This is taken from Chatelaine's "Quickies Chicken" recipe book. We make this fairly regularly, and I have to say this has all of the flavour of traditional fried chicken with a fraction of the calories.
- 4 skinless chicken breasts (or whatever you fancy)
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 425F (220C).
- Whisk the egg white and buttermilk together, then pour into a pie plate.
- Measure all dry ingredients into a paper or plastic bag and mix.
- Dip one breast (or whatever) into the buttermilk mixture and place in the seasoning bag. Close top and gently shake to evenly coat. Place on a baking sheet with shallow sides. Repeat with remaining chicken. Discard the remainder of the seasoning.
- Using a pastry brush, evenly brush the seasoning-coated chicken with the vegetable oil. This amount of oil is essential for a crispy crust.
- Bake uncovered until crisp and golden - approx 40-45 minutes.