1/1 Photo of Fay's Green Chile Stew (Chile Verde)
1 hr 55 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This is a recipe that I got from a Mexican cookbook but the name escapes me. I do know that I have made it for many years and it only gets better. It doubles and triples and freezes well. Chunks of pork, green chilies, mixed together with onions and savory seasonings will have you going for seconds!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs boneless pork, cut into bite size pieces (I use pork butt)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, broken up by hand
- 2 (7 ounce) cans green chilies, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin (to taste)
- salt and pepper
- 1Trim off any fat and cut pork into 1" size cubes.
- 2Heat oil in large pot or dutch oven.
- 3Add pork and cook till browned.
- 4Add onion and garlic and cook till tender.
- 5Sprinkle flour over all, mix thoroughly and stir for 1-2 minute.
- 6Add tomatoes and chilies with juices.
- 7Add cumin, salt and pepper to taste. Cover and simmer gently for 1/2 hrs., or until pork is tender.
- 8This is great alone, or with a side dish of hot refried beans, a crisp salad with avocados and tomatoes, and warmed flour tortillas. Add a frosty cold beer and you've got it made! Be sure to double or triple in case the neighbors stop by. This recipe is fantastic as leftovers.Place a big spoonful into a warmed flour tortilla, add beans and cheese and you've got a great burrito! Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fay's Green Chile Stew (Chile Verde)
Serving Size: 1 (573 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 648.6
- Calories from Fat 373
- Total Fat 41.4 g
- Saturated Fat 12.9 g
- Cholesterol 151.9 mg
- Sodium 144.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 11.9 g
- Protein 47.4 g