Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe came from my Aunt Faye and is very good. The berries and sugar must sit together overnight so plan on starting this pie a day in advance. A glass pie plate works best for this pie.
- pastry for single-crust pie
- 2 cups diced rhubarb
- 1 cup sliced strawberry
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1 dash salt
- 2 tablespoons tapioca
- 3 tablespoons tapioca (one for each cup of berries)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- Mix together the rhubarb, strawberries and sugar - let this sit overnight.
- Add to that the next day - the half and half, salt, tapioca and almond extract. Mix well.
- Prepare pastry for single-crust pie, being careful not to stretch dough too much. Place in glass pie plate and trim and crimp the edge.
- Add the mixture to the pie crust. This should fill up the pie crust about half full. Be sure to put something under the pie plate in the oven as this bubbles alot!
- Bake this at 400 degrees for 40 minutes or more depending on the bottom crust.