Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
One for the basil lovers in the crowd.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil.
- Core the tomatoes, and then make a small"X" on the bottom (flower) end.
- Drop them into the boiling water, removing when the skins begin to loosen, about 30 seconds.
- Drain, and then immediately submerge in cool water.
- When cool, peel each tomato and slice horizontally into four or five slices.
- Sprinkle each slice with salt, pepper and sherry vinegar.
- On individual plates, reassemble the tomatoes with the flat side down, putting a basil leaf or two between each layer.
- Surround with a little basil oil, sprinkle with a bit more salt, and garnish with fresh basil.
Mmmm, tomatoes with basil, yum! This went over very well for Saturday lunch as part of the appetizer course, although I didn't have any sherry vinegar and used balsamic instead. Light, refreshing and very Mediterranean. Basil Fawlty would be proud, que?
just cause the name is fawlty towers!!! I loved that show, actually I still love that show, and thanks to DVD's I can watch them any time (only 12 episodes can you believe it) Tawnya