Recipe by Mille®
One for the basil lovers in the crowd.
Top Review by Mirj
Mmmm, tomatoes with basil, yum! This went over very well for Saturday lunch as part of the appetizer course, although I didn't have any sherry vinegar and used balsamic instead. Light, refreshing and very Mediterranean. Basil Fawlty would be proud, que?
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a pot of water to a boil.
- Core the tomatoes, and then make a small"X" on the bottom (flower) end.
- Drop them into the boiling water, removing when the skins begin to loosen, about 30 seconds.
- Drain, and then immediately submerge in cool water.
- When cool, peel each tomato and slice horizontally into four or five slices.
- Sprinkle each slice with salt, pepper and sherry vinegar.
- On individual plates, reassemble the tomatoes with the flat side down, putting a basil leaf or two between each layer.
- Surround with a little basil oil, sprinkle with a bit more salt, and garnish with fresh basil.