Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
We like red cabbage in the winter with a good pot roast and mashed potatoes. This is the way my mom always cooked it and she passed it down to me. I think it's the Dutch way of cooking red cabbage. I usually half the recipe for our family with small kids.
- 1 red cabbage
- 2 apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Shred the cabbage and mix it with the apples, salt and pepper in a pan.
- Add a little bit of water (about 1/2 inch or so up the side of the pan) to the cabbage mixture and heat till boiling.
- Reduce heat and let simmer.
- When it's pretty much cooked (about 10 minutes or so) add the rest of the ingredients and heat through.
I usually hate red cabbage, but I loved this. It has a kinda sweet but sour taste. Definately gonna get made again.