Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe comes from a Western Australian cookery writer, Margaret Johnson, otherwise known as the "Queen of Tarts". This is just wonderful as is, but if you prefer, substitute the lemon zest and juice with a cup of strained passionfruit juice.
- 1 10-inch tart shell, baked blind (10" - 11" , 28cm)
- 4 lemons
- 9 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups superfine sugar
- 10 ounces heavy cream, the thicker the better (300 mls)
- powdered sugar, to dust
- Preheat oven to 300F (150C).
- Grate the lemon zest finely, and squeeze and strain the juice.
- Whisk the eggs and the sugar together in a bowl until amalgamated.
- Add the lemon juice and the zest, whisk briefly, then add the cream and whisk or stir gently until combined.
- Pour the lemon mixture into the tart shell and bake in the oven for between 45 to 55 minutes, depending on your oven.
- The tart is done when the outside is set but the middle still wobbles just slightly.
- Remove from the oven- there should be enough heat left in the mixture to complete the cooking through to the centre.
- Cool and dust with powdered sugar just before serving.
- Serve with dollops of cream, and icecream for the wicked!