Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I got this recipe years ago from a Ontario Milk Board Calendar...and over the years it has been slightly adapted to suit me. I have friends who won't let me visit without bringing this soup and a loaf of crusty bread!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups broccoli, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- Melt butter in large pan, add onion and cook until tender but not brown. Stir in flour and cook for 3 minutes.
- Whisk in stock and broccoli and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until broccoli is tender.
- Puree mixture, (I use a hand blender and like to leave a few chunks.) and return to heat. Add pepper,cayenne pepper, milk, and cheese. Add salt after cheese, tasting soup, since cheese can be salty. Heat through but do not let boil.
Never made this stuff before. This recipe had all the stuff I had on hand at home. I used velveeta to make it more creamy and ended up adding some shredded cheddar to help thicken it up since it was too runny. added some salt and bacon bits, delicious!
This was okay, but not outstanding. I made the recipe as written, and it was pretty bland. I added about 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt, a tablespoon or so of lemon juice (to perk up the flavor), and 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder. Next time I'll use extra sharp cheddar, and likely more of it than called for, to up the flavor.