1/1 Photo of Favourite Beef Stew
3 hrs 15 mins
Simple home-style cooking is always the best and every culture loves stew - this version is a favourite in my family! Sometimes, I'll add parsnips or turnips - at other times, I'll omit the potatoes & serve over broad noodles - and occasionally, I top it with dumplings!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -2 1/2 lbs lean beef, cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter (or margarine)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme (or 1 tsp dried)
- 4 cups beef stock
- salt & pepper
- 1/4 cup red wine (recommended!) (optional)
- 6 -8 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 6 -8 potatoes, coarsely chopped
- 6 -8 small onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian tomatoes, drained & chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1Pat meat dry with a paper towel.
- 2Heat oil & butter together in a large heavy saucepan.
- 3Add meat & cook, stirring constantly, until browned all over.
- 4Remove from pot, cover & set aside.
- 5To juices remaining in pot, add chopped onion & cook, stirring often, until tender.
- 6Add a little more butter, if necessary.
- 7Stir in flour & cook, stirring, until mixture is golden.
- 8Return meat to pot.
- 9Add next 6 ingredients (if using wine, I recommend adding this first to deglaze) - bring to a boil, stirring up browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
- 10Reduce heat, cover & simmer until the meat is tender- about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- 11Add vegetables & continue to simmer until veggies are tender- about 30 minutes.
- 12Taste & adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- 13Sprinkle with parsley.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Favourite Beef Stew
Serving Size: 1 (624 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 572.7
- Calories from Fat 168
- Total Fat 18.7 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 99.3 mg
- Sodium 709.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.4 g
- Sugars 11.7 g
- Protein 40.7 g