Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
These turkey burgers are spicy or mild depending on how hot the chili sauce is that is used. We use New Mexican chili sauce (medium) and Louisanna hot sauce. Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit (August 2004)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground turkey
- 1⁄2 cup chili sauce
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped shallot
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 tablespoons corn oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 sandwich buns
- lettuce, to garnish
- tomatoes, sliced,to garnish
- pickle, to garnish (optional)
- Mix ground turkey withchili sauce, shallots, cilantro, 3 tablespoons oil, hot sauce, cumin, salt and pepper together in a large bowl. Form into 4 patties.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet.
- Add burgers and cook until brown (3-5 minutes per side) and cooked through.
- Arrange roll bottoms with lettuce and burgers topping with desired garnishes/condiments (depending on taste).
I thought these were fantastic! So moist, juicy, and flavorful! I did add a bit of shredded colby jack cheese to the meat mixture, which gave it a little something extra special. Will use again! Thanks!
I used ground turkey breast for these burgers and felt that the mixture was a bit soft. I added 1/2 to 3/4 cups dried bread crumbs to the mixture to firm it up a bit. I also omitted the oil from the mixture and only used it for frying. The chili sauce, shallots and cilantro gave these burgers great flavor. They made a great weeknight dinner with Zippy Zucchini Skillet (recipe #116755).
I liked the combination of spices and sauce additions to these burgers. I did take the liberty to add about 3/4 Cups unseasoned bread crumbs to firm up the mixture a bit. I chose to use half ground turkey breast and half ground lean turkey.