Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Based on the berry smoothie recipe from The Joy of Vegan Baking.
- 1⁄2 cup nondairy soymilk
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground flax seeds
- 1⁄2 avocado
- 1⁄2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1⁄3 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 banana (may be frozen but adjust for liquid if you use frozen)
- Put all ingredients, in order, into blender.
- Pulse until the blender resists, then turn off blender and stir. Continue pulsing and stirring until smooth.
- You may add liquid or frozen ingredients as needed to thin or thicken your smoothie.
This is a wonderful smoothie, but with a difference: unlike many fruit smoothies, the presence of the avocado and the almond butter gives it a smoothness ("unctuous" mouthfeel would be the NY Times description) and the relatively small amount of citrus leaves it without a tangy aftertaste. That leaves it smooth and a little sweet. So, yes, this could be a smoothie or it could be a delicious "ice drink" or even ice cream. I made two batches, one with ice and one without. All my fruits were fresh, not frozen, so the ice version is probably closer to the recipe as written. If you do the non-ice, fresh fruit, you may want to add a bit of water to thin it down. I didn't have almond butter, but I had almonds ... and I didn't have orange juice, but I had oranges. Thank you, Vita-Mix!! Now, as to flavor: this is really good! Not too sweet, not too tart, highly adaptable to consistency. The nutritional analysis tells you that what you're getting is a fabulous boost of phytonutrients in a delicious beverage. Hard to beat! Thanks, Vegan4TheWin, for sharing!!
Kick-butt!! My 2 and 4 year old are having "purple ice cream" right now, no guilt on my part for all the usual dairy and sugar. Thanks!!