Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is my husband's favorite meat filling for flatbreads. I use my own Whole Wheat Flatbread and we all enjoy this simple but delicious dinner. I serve it with a tossed green salad and a beer.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced finely
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 lb lean ground beef or 1 lb ground turkey
- 3⁄4 cup finely diced tomatoes, drained, plus 2 Tbsp juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces boiling potatoes, cut into 1-cm cubes
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 1 fresh serrano peppers (optional) or 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, finely chopped (optional)
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat and cook the onion until golden brown.
- Add garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander, and turmeric, stirring until mixed well.
- Add the ground meat, tomatoes and salt. Cook, while stirring, until the meat is no longer pink, about 5-8 minutes.
- Stir in the potatoes and the water, cover and reduce heat to low, and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Uncover and taste to see if seasoning needs adjustment.
- May sprinkle with cilantro and/or hot chile peppers if desired.
- Or, mix in a few spoonsful of your favorite hot sauce.
- Serve with flatbreads for scooping.
Great Recipe! Hubby and kids loved it! Add tahini from Trader Joe if you don't have time for homemade and you're good to go!