Recipe by Pianolady
I made this recipe as my DH loves Grape Nuts... and I thought it was unusual... but I thought that I would not like this at all. I couldn't imagine Grape Nuts in a dessert. WOW -- this is absolutely fantastic! I served it with whipped cream and everyone wanted more. This comes from Kraftfoods.com. Try it!!
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 2 large egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 cup Grape-nuts cereal
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 large egg whites, stiffly beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Beat butter, sugar and lemon peel in large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg yolks.
- Stir in lemon juice, flour, cereal and milk.
- (Mixture will look curdled, but this will not affect finished product).
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites to stiff peaks.
- Gently stir in beaten egg whites.
- Pour into greased 1 quart baking dish.
- Place dish in a pan of hot water.
- Bake for about 1 hour or until top is golden brown and pudding begins to pull away from the side of the dish.
- (Pudding will have a cake-like layer on top with custard below).
- Serve warm or cold with cream or whipped cream, if desired.
- Variation: Mix ingredients as directed, and pour into 5 (5-oz) or 4 (6-oz) custard or souffle cups.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 40 minutes or until tops are golden brown and pudding begins to pull away from the side of the dish.
- Substitutions: You may substitute honey for sugar, and 2% milk for whole milk.