Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Fall apart delicious. This is the best recipe I've found for Pot Roast that doesn't dry it out in the crock pot, but still has a tender texture.
- 2 1⁄2-3 lbs rolled boston roast or 2 1⁄2-3 lbs chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can beef consomme
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 6 carrots, peeled and quartered
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1 inch pieces
- Brown roast on all sides in hot oil in a large Dutch oven.
- Drain off drippings.
- Place sliced onion on top of roast.
- Combine consommé and next 5 ingredients.
- Mix well and pour over roast.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 2 ½ hours.
- Add veggies, cover, and simmer 25 minutes or until veggies are tender, adding water if needed.
- Remove bay leaf and serve.