1/2 Photos of Favorite Old Fashioned Meatloaf
1 hr 10 mins
Halcyon Eve's Note:
Makes a moist, delicious meatloaf that is firm and not crumbly--perfect for sandwiches the next day (if there are leftovers). It reheats well, too. The beef should be at or near room temperature when you make it; if it isn't, it will take longer to cook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs 85% lean ground beef (do not use leanest ground beef or meatloaf will be crumbly, about 12-16% fat is ideal)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely diced celery
- 2 -3 slices firm bread (slightly stale, the drier the better)
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt (to taste, I leave out)
- 1 teaspoon Coleman's dry mustard
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- additional ketchup, if desired (to accompany)
- 1An hour or so before preparation, remove beef from fridge and allow to come to room temperature.
- 2Preheat oven to 400* F. Grease a standard sized loaf pan and set aside.
- 3In blender, process bread into fairly fine crumbs--you need about 1 1/2 cups of crumbs.
- 4In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs slightly with a fork. Add hamburger, breaking into large pieces as you do so. Mix slightly with a wooden spoon or paddle.
- 5Add remaining ingredients and mix well with spoon or paddle. When fairly well incorporated, finish mixing by hand until you have a relatively homogeneous mixture. Don't handle too much or meatloaf will be tough.
- 6Place meat mixture into loaf pan, pressing down as you do so to eliminate air pockets. Press down and flatten top. Meatloaf may have overflow of grease while cooking, so place on a baking sheet if desired to simplify cleanup.
- 7Bake at 400* F for 50 minutes or until juices are clear and meat thermometer registers about 160-170* F.
- 8Remove from oven, allow to rest for 5-10 minutes, and drain juices. Carefully invert onto serving platter. Serve sliced, with ketchup if desired.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Favorite Old Fashioned Meatloaf
Serving Size: 1 (161 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 396.7
- Calories from Fat 226
- Total Fat 25.2 g
- Saturated Fat 9.6 g
- Cholesterol 174.7 mg
- Sodium 687.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 31.6 g