Recipe by Mama's Kitchen (Hope)
Looking for a fast and easy recipe for supper? This is really easy to make and very yummy!
Top Review by NickandSally
Wow! These are so good!! It's the first recipe I've tried from this site, and if the others are like this, I have found a winner site! My kids and my husband loved it! We had it over rice with some green baens and a salad. Thanks!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb ground turkey or 1 lb ground chicken
- 2 slices white bread, soaked in a little milk and squeezed dry
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped or 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper, divided
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth (homemade is even better)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth (homemade is even better)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh grated lemon rind
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine meats, bread, onion, parsley, egg, salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and the pinch of nutmeg in medium bowl.
- Shape mixture into 1 inch balls, wetting hands as needed will help.
- Add half of the meatballs to lightly oiled or sprayed large skillet over medium heat. Cook until browned all over, about 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer meatballs to paper towel lined plate. Repeat until all meatballs are browned.
- Add beef and chicken broth to skillet and stir to deglaze, getting all the browned bits from the pan bottom. Return meatballs to skillet.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer, 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl combine water and cornstarch, stir well to make a slurry.
- Add to meatballs and broth and bring to a gentle boil to thicken.
- Add remaining pepper, grated lemon peel and thyme and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve over mashed potatoes, buttered noodles, or steamed white rice.
- Makes 6 servings.
- Note: If your family really likes gravy you may want to double the ingredients for gravy only.