Munchkin Mama's Note:
Makes 3 batches of Macaroni & Cheese, 4 servings each. Adapted from The Freezer Cooking Manual.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup butter or 3/4 cup margarine or 3/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup flour (can use up to half whole wheat if desired)
- 6 cups milk, warmed
- 6 bouillon cubes or 2 tablespoons instant bouillon granules
- 12 ounces cream cheese
- 6 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 30 ounces dry pasta, cooked (2 lbs., I like rotini)
- 1 1/2 cups buttery crackers, crushed (like Ritz)
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick) or 1/2 cup margarine, melted (1 stick)
- 1Make a white sauce: In a large heavy bottomed teflon sauceman or stock pot, melt/warm the 3/4 cup butter or oil over low heat. Add flour and stir until smooth. Cook the mixture until it begins to bubble. Do NOT let brown.
- 2Gradually add the milk, stirring constantly. When the sauce has thickened (be patient; this could take 15 minutes or so.), stir in the bouillon.
- 3Add in softened cream cheese until smooth.
- 4Next add in the cheddar cheese until melted.
- 5Finally, stir in the cooked pasta.
- 6Press into 3 greased 1 1/2 quart or 2-quart baking dishes. (I like to use disposable foil containers for easy clean-up).
- 7Combine cracker crumbs and butter. Store in 3 baggies and attach to macaroni and cheese dish.
- 8Label and freeze.
- 9To serve: Take out of freezer and thaw in refrigerator the day before serving. Sprinkle cracker mixture over macaroni and bake at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes or until the edges are bubbly.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Favorite Mac & Cheese- OAMC
Serving Size: 1 (318 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 916.5
- Calories from Fat 502
- Total Fat 55.8 g
- Saturated Fat 33.7 g
- Cholesterol 158.6 mg
- Sodium 1016.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 31.4 g