Recipe by Missi
After searching for years for the rich Hot Brown Cheese sauce I remember from years ago in Lexington KY, I finally found this one and it is awesome.
- 1⁄2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half (or milk)
- 1 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1 cup colby cheese (grated)
- 2 egg yolks
- 5 dashes Tabasco sauce (or more to taste)
- 8 slices cooked turkey (thick deli)
- 8 slices cooked ham (thick deli)
- 12 slices bacon (fried but not burned)
- 2 tomatoes (sliced)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a medium sauce pan. Mix in flour until mixture is smooth. Add milk in small amounts,stirring with each addition. Cook on medium heat until sauce is thick. Stir regularly to prevent sticking or burning on bottom. Add Tabasco and parmesan cheese. Remove from heat.
- Take out 1/2 cup sauce and add the two beaten egg yolks. Mix well and add back to the remainder of the sauce in the pan, stirring constantly until well mixed. Return to the heat and add the Colby cheese until melted.
- Continue to cook if necessary to thicken to desired consistency or add more milk to thin to desired consistency as you assemble the dish.
- Toast 8 slices of bread and place two on four oven-safe plates or individual casserole dishes. Layer with turkey and ham. Pour sauce over each. Top with 2-3 slices of tomato, 2-3 slices of bacon and lightly sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake at 400°F for 10 to 15 minutes until sauce is bubbly.