Recipe by Danette Fisher
I wanted to share with everyone this quick and easy noodle recipe that my mom used to make when she was short on money but always had these ingredients in the kitchen. I will show you how to make it so that it is not as fattening as when she made them but they still taste as wonderful.
Top Review by Breezytoo
I've been making homemade noodles similar to this recipe for years and we love them! Total comfort food! I use whole eggs and cut my noodles thicker as a personal choice. After cutting the noodles (if you don't have a noodle cutter a pizza cutter works great!)I lay them out to dry before cooking and they take about 20 minutes to cook. A little corn starch and water added to the broth/noodles after cooking thickens the juice as well. Delicious over mashed potatoes!
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 5 (14 1/2 ounce) cans fat free chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- pepper (optional)
- 6 egg whites
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 6 tablespoons milk or 6 tablespoons water
- salt and pepper
- 1 -2 cup flour (set aside to use while rolling out the noodles)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put chicken breasts and water and salt and pepper in dutch oven/stew pot to boil.
- (Continue to low boil until noodles are made).
- Mix remaining ingredients (mixing by hand is the best way).
- Add flour (if needed) until you get firm not hard ball.
- Roll out on floured pastry sheet or where ever you roll out dough.
- Keep flouring and flipping dough till you have the thickness you desire (I recommend 1/8-inch).
- Flour flat dough then roll up.
- Cut to thickness desired (I recommend 5/8-inch).
- Before unrolling the strips, sprinkle flour on them, unroll them and add more flour mix them together, place noodles and all the flour in a bowl.
- Let set.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and cut into chunks or strips.
- Add the canned broth to the water.
- Bring to boil, add the noodles, remaining flour and the chicken to the pot stir well, bring to boil then simmer stirring often.
- Done in about an hour.
- Wonderful served over mashed potatoes.