Hi Heels's Note:
Ground beef taken to a sophisticated level and, oh, so easy to prepare. Recipe notes: -- I prefer to use sirloin ground beef, but if you don't have that, the fresher the ground beef, the better. -- The beef base I use is "Better Than Bouillon" as it gives the ground beef a pot-roast kind of flavor, but you can use two cubes (or packets) of your favorite beef bouillon instead. -- Brown onions work just as well as red onions. Just be sure it is a BIG onion. I usually serve this with a tomato-garlic-mint salad (see recipe for this) and a large mound of vegetables, such as broccoli, maple-glazed carrots, baby green peas, grilled zucchini, or grilled cauliflower. I invented this when my then-four year old son was extremely picky about what he ate.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cook the diced onion and oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often, until the onion is translucent and starting to brown. About 6 - 8 minutes.
- 2Add the ground beef and continue to cook, stirring often for another 8 - 10 minutes.
- 3While the meat is cooking, dissolve the beef base (or bouillon if using) in 1/4 cup of hot water.
- 4When the beef is no longer pink, add the dissolved base/bouillon and mix well.
- 5Cover and turn heat to low. Cook for at least 10 minutes.
- 6Remove lid and turn up heat to medium-high.
- 7Cook, stirring often, until the water is evaporated and the meat is dark brown and starting to get a little crispy.
- 8Taste -- if the meat tastes a bit plain, add more dissolved beef base or beef bouillon until it tastes yummy-good. (Older ground beef tends to need a lot more flavoring.)
- 9Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Favorite Ground Beef
Serving Size: 1 (142 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 290.1
- Calories from Fat 183
- Total Fat 20.4 g
- Saturated Fat 7.1 g
- Cholesterol 77.1 mg
- Sodium 91.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 21.5 g