Recipe by Hi Heels
Ground beef taken to a sophisticated level and, oh, so easy to prepare. Recipe notes: -- I prefer to use sirloin ground beef, but if you don't have that, the fresher the ground beef, the better. -- The beef base I use is "Better Than Bouillon" as it gives the ground beef a pot-roast kind of flavor, but you can use two cubes (or packets) of your favorite beef bouillon instead. -- Brown onions work just as well as red onions. Just be sure it is a BIG onion. I usually serve this with a tomato-garlic-mint salad (see recipe for this) and a large mound of vegetables, such as broccoli, maple-glazed carrots, baby green peas, grilled zucchini, or grilled cauliflower. I invented this when my then-four year old son was extremely picky about what he ate.
Top Review by alyse2232
I was looking for a way to have ground beef by itself instead of mixing it in pasta or casserole. This tasted great I made mine with 2boullion cubes, sweet onions and added chopped tomatoes half way through cooking. I served it over rice with vegetables on the side.
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tablespoons beef base (see note)
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the diced onion and oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often, until the onion is translucent and starting to brown. About 6 - 8 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and continue to cook, stirring often for another 8 - 10 minutes.
- While the meat is cooking, dissolve the beef base (or bouillon if using) in 1/4 cup of hot water.
- When the beef is no longer pink, add the dissolved base/bouillon and mix well.
- Cover and turn heat to low. Cook for at least 10 minutes.
- Remove lid and turn up heat to medium-high.
- Cook, stirring often, until the water is evaporated and the meat is dark brown and starting to get a little crispy.
- Taste -- if the meat tastes a bit plain, add more dissolved beef base or beef bouillon until it tastes yummy-good. (Older ground beef tends to need a lot more flavoring.)
- Serve immediately.