This recipe was given to me by a coworker many years ago. Since then, this is about the only meatloaf I make. It usually gets lots of yums and pleases the family. I have given this recipe out so many times, and always get comments on how good and easy it is. I love to serve this with mashed potatoes or mashed garlic potatoes.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 cup Pepperidge Farm Herb Stuffing
- 1 cup tomato sauce or 1 cup left over spaghetti sauce
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup white onion, finely chop
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, finely chop
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 dash nutmeg
- In a large bowl combine beef, stuffing, tomato sauce, egg, onion, green pepper, oregano, basil, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- With hands blend mixture well and form into a firm loaf.
- Place in center of greased baking dish.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 30minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine BBQ sauce, brown sugar and nutmeg. Stir well.
- Pour mixture over top of meatloaf.
- Continue baking meatloaf for an additional 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let set for 5minutes before slicing and serving.
Great meatloaf! I used leftover stuffing from Thanksgiving that was full of flavor so I left out the oregano and the basil. I used homemade spaghetti sauce. The meatloaf is outstanding, but next time we will not use BBQ sauce for the top, we found it to compete with the meatloaf (which may have been b/c of our stuffing). Thanks Expat!