Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
These are always so soft & chewy. They are guaranteed to turn out everytime!!
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon clove
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar (for dipping)
- Cream shortening and sugar.
- Add molasses and egg, beat well.
- Add sifted dry ingredients and mix.
- Roll into marble size balls and dip in sugar.
- Place 2 inches apart on greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes.
This is the same as the recipe I had posted before the site did a cleanup of duplicates. This is a great cookie that I have made for many years. It makes a lot of cookies. I like them to be crispy, so I make them small, let them cool completely and keep them in a metal tin. If you want them chewy, make them larger and keep them in an airtight container (e.g. Tupperware). This is definitely a family favourite!
I doubled the amount of ginger and got that good flavor. But these never got crispy, they were soft. Kids and guests really liked them but I was looking for that snap.
good recipe. I cut the cooking time back to 10 min. came out perfect.