Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I got this recipe from a Woman's Day magazine in the early 1970s, when I was in college ... I've made 'em every year since then, and they are hugely popular with everyone I give cookie baskets to at Christmas time. I've changed the recipe a bit to emphasize the almonds.
- Sift flour with 1/4 teaspoons salt.
- With a hand mixer at medium speed, beat butter, sugar, egg yolk and almond extract until light and fluffy.
- Mix in almonds. (Dough will be stiff.).
- Shape dough into two rolls, each about 1.5" in diameter. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least two hours.
- Preheat oven to 350. Cut dough into slices 1/4" thick. Bake on greased cookie sheets at 350 for 8-10 minutes. Cool completely.
- Make chocolate dip: Melt chocolate morsels, 3 tablespoons butter and 1 tablespoons hot water in double boiler.
- Dip cooled cookies in chocolate dip. Only dip half of the cookie, so there's a semicircle of chocolate, and a semicircle of cookie.
- Optional: Dust with ground or chopped almonds, or other decorations.