35 hrs 30 mins
I got this recipe from a Woman's Day magazine in the early 1970s, when I was in college ... I've made 'em every year since then, and they are hugely popular with everyone I give cookie baskets to at Christmas time. I've changed the recipe a bit to emphasize the almonds.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Sift flour with 1/4 teaspoons salt.
- 2With a hand mixer at medium speed, beat butter, sugar, egg yolk and almond extract until light and fluffy.
- 3Mix in almonds. (Dough will be stiff.).
- 4Shape dough into two rolls, each about 1.5" in diameter. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least two hours.
- 5Preheat oven to 350. Cut dough into slices 1/4" thick. Bake on greased cookie sheets at 350 for 8-10 minutes. Cool completely.
- 6Make chocolate dip: Melt chocolate morsels, 3 tablespoons butter and 1 tablespoons hot water in double boiler.
- 7Dip cooled cookies in chocolate dip. Only dip half of the cookie, so there's a semicircle of chocolate, and a semicircle of cookie.
- 8Optional: Dust with ground or chopped almonds, or other decorations.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Favorite Christmas Cookies #1
Serving Size: 1 (21 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 48
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 108.5
- Calories from Fat 65
- Total Fat 7.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 16.0 mg
- Sodium 54.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 1.5 g