Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I like making these bars in the fall and winter for after school snacks or for dessert. Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit (May 1986)
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar (or 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup white sugar)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups raisins
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 (12 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray an 11 x 17-inch pan (or cookie sheet) with Pam non stick cooking spray.
- Combine flour and baking soda in bowl and set aside.
- Cream butter (or margarine) with sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time.
- Alternately stir in raisins and flour mixture.
- Fold in remaining ingredients (dates-walnuts).
- Spread evenly in prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool and then cut into bars.
Very good bar. Unfortunately - I overcooked mine a little bit and the edges were too dry (my fault.) I loved the chocolate chips in it. My husband ate the dry pieces crumbled up as granola for his oatmeal! Thanks for sharing.