Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 25 large tomatoes
- 3 sweet red peppers (Peppers should be seeded and chopped.)
- 1 bunch celery, Chopped
- 6 large onions, Chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, Minced
- 2 tablespoons whole allspice, Tied In Bag
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons pickling salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Scald, peel, core, and quarter the tomatoes.
- Squeeze out the seeds and excess juice and finely chop the pulp.
- Put the pulp in a large kettle, bring to a boil, and boil rapidly until the tomatoes are soft.
- Ladle off the clear liquid that comes to the top of the tomatoes while they are cooking.
- Add the remaining ingredients and cook for 30 minutes.
- Discard the spice bag and continue to cook for about 1 hour longer, or until thick, stirring occasionally.
- Seal in hot sterilized jars.