Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a meatless version from an old cookbook of mine called "The Healthful Chef" by E.N. Hetherington, M.D. It is the meal my son requests most; for him I use the ground beef option. It reminds me of SteaknShake's chil mac! Easy and delicious with a small salad and garlic bread or crackers.
- 1 lb ground beef (optional)
- 2 large onions, diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup catsup
- 1 cup tomato juice (optional)
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can red beans, drained
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- shredded parmesan cheese, to taste
- 1 lb spaghetti, cooked according to package directions
- 2⁄3 cup catsup
- 1⁄3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- If using meat, brown ground beef until no longer pink. Drain.
- Add olive oil to skillet.
- Saute the onions and bell pepper in olive oil until tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, combine sauce ingredients.
- To assemble each individual portions:.
- Place portion of cooked spaghetti on plate.
- Top with portion of chili mac mixture.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Top with 1/4 cup of the sauce.