Princess Pea's Note:
This is a meatless version from an old cookbook of mine called "The Healthful Chef" by E.N. Hetherington, M.D. It is the meal my son requests most; for him I use the ground beef option. It reminds me of SteaknShake's chil mac! Easy and delicious with a small salad and garlic bread or crackers.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground beef (optional)
- 2 large onions, diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup catsup
- 1 cup tomato juice (optional)
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can red beans, drained
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- shredded parmesan cheese, to taste
- 1 lb spaghetti, cooked according to package directions
- 1If using meat, brown ground beef until no longer pink. Drain.
- 2Add olive oil to skillet.
- 3Saute the onions and bell pepper in olive oil until tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- 4Add the remaining ingredients.
- 5Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 6Meanwhile, combine sauce ingredients.
- 7To assemble each individual portions:.
- 8Place portion of cooked spaghetti on plate.
- 9Top with portion of chili mac mixture.
- 10Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- 11Top with 1/4 cup of the sauce.
Browse Our Top Spaghetti Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Favorite Chili Mac
Serving Size: 1 (598 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 753.5
- Calories from Fat 90
- Total Fat 10.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.1 mg
- Sodium 1339.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 142.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.0 g
- Sugars 24.7 g
- Protein 27.1 g