Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 hrs
This is a recipe that I have made for years. It originally comes from the little recipe book that came with my Rival crockpot, but I have made many revisions to it, so it is quite abit different than the original. I am always picky about my spices, I believe in very good quality fresh spices and herbs, I always order my chili powder and cumin from a high quality spice company. Since I can not tolerate hot spice, I always use mild chili powder, but if you prefer hotter chili, feel free to heat it up with the hotter variety, just make sure it is fresh and good quality. Also the chocolate bar that is added is optional, but it makes a darker, richer and obviously more complex flavored sauce to the chili. I am sure this can also be made on the stove top, if you are so inclined. This is really delicious with Juniors cornbread, and pass the grated cheese and chopped onions please! This makes alot of chili, you can probably halve it if you have a smaller crock-pot.
- 6 (16 ounce) cans kidney beans or 6 (16 ounce) cans pinto beans, drained
- 2 (28 ounce) cans tomatoes (I buy the kind that are already chopped)
- 4 lbs round steaks, cut into bite sized pieces and browned
- 3 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 green peppers, coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 -5 tablespoons chili powder (I usually add 5 Tbls.)
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 -2 tablespoon brown sugar (optional)
- 1 medium lindt dark chocolate bar, broken into pieces
- Cut steak into bite sized pieces and brown in fry pan, until evenly browned on all sides.
- Put all ingredients in crock-pot in order listed.
- Stir once.
- Cover and cook on low 10 to 12 hours. (High:5 to 6 hours).
- Stir again when cooking time is completed to make sure chocolate is thoroughly blended in to chili.