Recipe by jenpalombi
This chicken in a paprika tomato sauce is perfect served over hot buttered egg noodles. A family favorite! I originally got this from The Essential Cookbook, but adapted it very slightly to suit my own tastes.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb boneless chicken tenderloins
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sweet Hungarian paprika
- salt, to taste
- 2⁄3 cup crushed tomatoes
- hot buttered egg noodles
- sour cream (I prefer Breakstone's Light)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- In a casserole dish, heat the butter and oil on the stovetop over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken tenderloins and cook until browned on all sides, then remove to a plate.
- Add the onions to the casserole, reduce heat to medium and cook (stirring often) until they're golden brown.
- Stir in the paprika and cook for an additional minute.
- Return the chicken to the casserole, season with salt and cover tightly.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
- Add the tomato puree, stir and cook for 5 more minutes, or until puree is heated through.
- Serve over hot buttered egg noodles with a dollop of sour cream.