Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is our favorite, comforting soup- I make it once a month! Classic, perfect and delicious! Prep/cooking times don't include chilling the stock.
- 1360.77-1814.36 g broiler chickens
- 2839.08 ml water
- 2 onions
- 5 stalk celery
- 5 carrots
- 2 parsnips
- 473.18 ml fresh parsley
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 9.85 ml thyme
- 473.18-709.77 ml egg noodles
- put the chicken in a pot, cover with the water.
- add one onion quartered, 2 carrots halved, 2 stalks of celery halved, 1 cup parsley, thyme, garlic and bay leaves.
- boil, reduce heat and simmer, scraping off the foam at the top about 30 minutes inches.
- simmer 1.5 hours, remove chicken. cool and remove the meat.
- strain stock and cool (i like to cool it overnight) skim fat off the top.
- chop the remaining 3 carrots, celery, parsnips and onion. add them to the stock and cook about an hour, adding the meat near the end to heat though.
- cook egg noodles and pour soup over them in the bowl.
- *i never keep the noodles in the soup- they can get mushy.
- **if you like a stronger taste, add 1-2 tbs bullion to the stock.