1/1 Photo of Favorite Chicken Enchiladas
1 hr 10 mins
Overton Fam's Note:
This is my mother's recipe and was one of our family favorites growing up. It is now one of my family's favorites. I frequently serve these enchiladas for company and social events and they are always a huge hit. They are mild flavored enchiladas in a white sauce. I serve them with sour cream and green or red chili sauce for anyone that wants a spicier flavor. I frequently substitute 4-5 chicken breasts instead of a whole chicken - they cook faster and are easier to work with. (you need to yield 4-5 cups shredded chicken). To save time, cook the chicken ahead of time and refrigerate it so that it's cooled and ready to go when you put the casserole together.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 whole chicken, cooked and shredded
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 2 (4 1/2 ounce) cans diced green chilies, undrained
- 2 (4 1/2 ounce) cans sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 (6 ounce) can black olives, drained and sliced
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1 lb cheddar cheese, shredded
- 12 -15 corn tortillas
- 1Boil whole chicken in a large pot of water until cooked through (approx. 30 minutes). Remove from pot, cool and shred into small bite-size pieces. I frequently substitute boneless skinless chicken breasts (they cook faster and are easier to work with-boil chicken breast for approx 20 mins) - you'll need about 4-5 breasts (you want to yield about 4-5 cups).
- 2In a medium bowl, mix cream of chicken soup, cream of mushroom soup, diced green chilies (do not drain), mushrooms (drained), olives (drained), and dried onions.
- 3In a 9x13 pan sprayed with no-stick spray, layer as follows:.
- 4Layer 1: layer the bottom of the pan with a single layer of tortillas. Tip: I fold and tear the tortillas in 1/2 so that they fit in the pan better. I also dip the tortillas into my soup mixture and coat them with sauce, skimming off the excess with my fingers. A thin layer of sauce on both sides of your tortillas will keep them soft while baking so that they do not dry out and become hard and chewy.
- 5Layer 2: Spoon 1/2 of the soup mixture over the tortillas and spread to cover.
- 6Layer 3: 1/2 of the shredded chicken pieces.
- 7Layer 4: 1/2 of the cheddar cheese.
- 8Repeat layers 1-4 above (still coat your second layer of tortillas with the soup mixture).
- 9Cover and bake in a 350 degree oven 35-45 minutes, until hot and bubbly and cheese is melted.
- 10Serve with sour cream and green or red chili sauce, if desired.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Favorite Chicken Enchiladas
Serving Size: 1 (210 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 515.7
- Calories from Fat 318
- Total Fat 35.3 g
- Saturated Fat 14.1 g
- Cholesterol 123.0 mg
- Sodium 1026.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 31.8 g