This is my mother's recipe and was one of our family favorites growing up. It is now one of my family's favorites. I frequently serve these enchiladas for company and social events and they are always a huge hit. They are mild flavored enchiladas in a white sauce. I serve them with sour cream and green or red chili sauce for anyone that wants a spicier flavor. I frequently substitute 4-5 chicken breasts instead of a whole chicken - they cook faster and are easier to work with. (you need to yield 4-5 cups shredded chicken). To save time, cook the chicken ahead of time and refrigerate it so that it's cooled and ready to go when you put the casserole together.
- 1 whole chicken, cooked and shredded
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 2 (4 1/2 ounce) cans diced green chilies, undrained
- 2 (4 1/2 ounce) cans sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 (6 ounce) can black olives, drained and sliced
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1 lb cheddar cheese, shredded
- 12 -15 corn tortillas
- Boil whole chicken in a large pot of water until cooked through (approx. 30 minutes). Remove from pot, cool and shred into small bite-size pieces. I frequently substitute boneless skinless chicken breasts (they cook faster and are easier to work with-boil chicken breast for approx 20 mins) - you'll need about 4-5 breasts (you want to yield about 4-5 cups).
- In a medium bowl, mix cream of chicken soup, cream of mushroom soup, diced green chilies (do not drain), mushrooms (drained), olives (drained), and dried onions.
- In a 9x13 pan sprayed with no-stick spray, layer as follows:.
- Layer 1: layer the bottom of the pan with a single layer of tortillas. Tip: I fold and tear the tortillas in 1/2 so that they fit in the pan better. I also dip the tortillas into my soup mixture and coat them with sauce, skimming off the excess with my fingers. A thin layer of sauce on both sides of your tortillas will keep them soft while baking so that they do not dry out and become hard and chewy.
- Layer 2: Spoon 1/2 of the soup mixture over the tortillas and spread to cover.
- Layer 3: 1/2 of the shredded chicken pieces.
- Layer 4: 1/2 of the cheddar cheese.
- Repeat layers 1-4 above (still coat your second layer of tortillas with the soup mixture).
- Cover and bake in a 350 degree oven 35-45 minutes, until hot and bubbly and cheese is melted.
- Serve with sour cream and green or red chili sauce, if desired.