Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
I found this in Southern Living several years ago and make it often, especially when bringing a meal to someone. It freezes well which is good since the recipe is much more than my family can eat. I usually make it either in 2 2qt baking dishes or 3 9x9 pans for freezing and add a little extra cheese on top. Light sour cream, lowfat milk and Healthy Request soup work well for a lower fat version.
- 2 (6 1/4 ounce) packages quick-cooking long grain and wild rice mix
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 (8 ounce) cans sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 5 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 lb shredded cheddar cheese, divided (4 cups)
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Prepare rice according to package directions; set aside.
- Saute onion, celery and water chestnuts in butter until tender.
- In a very large bowl, combine rice, onion mixture, 3 cups cheese, chicken, soup, sour cream, milk, salt and pepper.
- Pour into a lightly greased 15x10 inch baking dish or 4 qt casserole.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese and bake 5 minutes.
This casserole hits all the right taste buds. So great to have a casserole in the wings of the freezer.
So YUMMY!! I divided the mixture into one casserole for tonight and one to freeze for later. I added mushrooms and a dash of hot sauce. Thankfully, I have a large tupperware "Thats-a-bowl" to mix this up in. I had a hard time making myself stop eating! Love it!
This was really yummy! I made two casseroles....a 9x13 (to freeze and give to family members after a death in the family) and an 8x8 (to have for ourselves). The only thing is I don't even have a bowl big enough to mix all of the ingredients...had to use my big stock pot. My family liked this and I will definitely be making it again and again. I like large recipes that freeze well and this is that kind of recipe!