My mum used to make these for me all the time, and I would only eat them if she put chocolate chips in them. Now I make them myself, and they are just as good without the extra sweetness! Prep time is approximate - it usually takes me a long time to butter and flour my muffin pans. (makes 12 2 -3/4 in. muffins, or 20 mini muffins and about 8 med. muffins)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (all-purpose flour is fine, too)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (if using salted butter, omit this)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar (either light or dark)
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream (or pureed cottage cheese or tofu, with a tsp. or so of lemon juice)
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 cup natural bran (NOT bran flakes cereal!)
- 1Butter and flour muffin tins (you can use leftover flour in the next step if you are feeling quite economical) Sift flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon into a bowl (if using whole wheat flour, you have to dump in the little flakes- they will not sift through the sieve) In a large bowl, cream softened butter on moderate speed for about 2 minutes or until creamy.
- 2Beat in brown sugar and beat one minute, or until combined.
- 3Blend in egg and vanilla and beat for one minute.
- 4On a lower speed, blend in sour cream and molasses, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a spatula to keep the batter even.
- 5By hand, stir in sifted dry ingredients, blending just until flour particles have been absorbed.
- 6Fill muffin tins 2/3 full and bake in a 400 degree oven for about 13-15 minutes for a medium muffin tin, 10 min for mini muffins, and 15-18 for large muffins, or until the batter starts to pull away from the sides and a pick inserted into the middle comes out clean and dry.
- 7Let cool in tin for about 45 seconds, then remove to a wire cooling rack.
Browse Our Top Muffins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Favorite Bran Muffins
Serving Size: 1 (728 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 200.6
- Calories from Fat 112
- Total Fat 12.5 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 46.3 mg
- Sodium 235.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 9.2 g
- Protein 3.2 g