Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
My mum used to make these for me all the time, and I would only eat them if she put chocolate chips in them. Now I make them myself, and they are just as good without the extra sweetness! Prep time is approximate - it usually takes me a long time to butter and flour my muffin pans. (makes 12 2 -3/4 in. muffins, or 20 mini muffins and about 8 med. muffins)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (all-purpose flour is fine, too)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (if using salted butter, omit this)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar (either light or dark)
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream (or pureed cottage cheese or tofu, with a tsp. or so of lemon juice)
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1 cup natural bran (NOT bran flakes cereal!)
- Butter and flour muffin tins (you can use leftover flour in the next step if you are feeling quite economical) Sift flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon into a bowl (if using whole wheat flour, you have to dump in the little flakes- they will not sift through the sieve) In a large bowl, cream softened butter on moderate speed for about 2 minutes or until creamy.
- Beat in brown sugar and beat one minute, or until combined.
- Blend in egg and vanilla and beat for one minute.
- On a lower speed, blend in sour cream and molasses, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a spatula to keep the batter even.
- By hand, stir in sifted dry ingredients, blending just until flour particles have been absorbed.
- Fill muffin tins 2/3 full and bake in a 400 degree oven for about 13-15 minutes for a medium muffin tin, 10 min for mini muffins, and 15-18 for large muffins, or until the batter starts to pull away from the sides and a pick inserted into the middle comes out clean and dry.
- Let cool in tin for about 45 seconds, then remove to a wire cooling rack.