Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Black beans are one of my favorite foods, and i try to cook with them when i can. This is a recipe from my mom, who used to make it all the time. Hope you like it!
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 (16 ounce) cans black beans, undrained
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 24 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Saute onion, garlic, cumin, and pepper in oil until tender. Remove from heat.
- Puree 1-1/2 to 2 cans of beans with the chicken broth.
- add puree to pot along with remaining ingrediants.
- Heat to a boil the reduce to low.
- Simmer 30 minute.
Very good soup! The only change I made was I used 1 tsp. cumin since I wasn't sure if 1 Tbls. was a typo or not. I figured under spiced was better than too spicy. :) I really enjoyed the hint of lime in the soup. I served it with tortilla chips. Thanks for posting!