Recipe by cnpick05
This was my first time to make stew and I found this recipe and it is so easy and it turned out so good! It's the perfect stew to warm you up during the cold wintery nights. I got it out of The Best Slow Cooker Recipes.
Top Review by mersaydees
Had this for dinner last night out of my book, Best-Loved Slow Cooker Recipes. Good comfort food that I really like! However, my husband didn't like it as he says it didn't have enough flavor for his tastes. I will make this again as it's a classic. Thanks for saving me some typing as I would have been proud to add this to my recipe collection on food.com.
- 3 carrots, cut lengthwise into halves, then cut into 1 in. pieces
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 1 in. pieces
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 in. pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 3⁄4 teaspoon basil leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 lbs beef stew meat, cut into 1 in. pieces
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- Layer ingredients in slow cooker in the following order: carrots, celery, potatoes, onion, garlic, bay leaf, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, basil, pepper, beef, tomatoes with juice and broth. Cover and cook on low 8-9 hours.
- Remove beef and vegetables to large serving bowl; cover and keep warm. Remove and discard bay leaf. Turn slow cooker to high; cover. Mix flour and water in small bowl until smooth. Add 1/2 cup cooking liquid; mix well. Stir flour mixture into slow cooker. Cover and cook 15 minute or until thickened. Pour meat and vegetables back into slow cooker and stir. Turn slow cooker back to low and enjoy!