Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
It must be good.....they ask for it!
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 -4 ripe bananas (approx. 1 1/2 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup margarine (softened)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa (optional) or 1⁄2 cup ovaltine (optional) or 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 13" x 9" or bundt or loaf pan(s).
- Mash bananas. Set aside.
- Combine dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, blend margarine and sugar. Add egg and vanilla and beat until thoroughly combined. Blend in bananas. Add flour mixture. Mix well.
- Pour in prepared pans. Bake for 15-20 minutes for muffins. For 13" x 9" bake 25-35 minutes. For small loaf pans bake 30-40 minutes. For large loaf or bundt pans increase time to 40-50 minutes.
- Variations: Chocolate Chip Banana Cake: Shake chocolate chips with a little flour to prevent them sinking to the bottom before adding to the batter and then pouring into pans. Black-Bottom Banana Cake: Divide batter in half. Mix 1/2 cup cocoa or Ovaltine into half of batter and spread on bottom of pan. Spread remaining batter on top then bake.
Great recipe-my husband has asked me to bake it 3 times in the past 10 days! Thanks for posting!