Recipe by Paulette
I got this banana bread recipe from the Family Circle magazine in 1988, and have baked it 3-4 times a year since then. I get requests for this from my co-workers every Christmas. Makes a great gift!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 medium bananas, mashed
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup chopped pecans or 1 cup chopped walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, grease& flour 9x5x3 inch loaf pan.
- Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder& salt in medium size bowl.
- Beat together butter and sugar until light colored, then beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Stir in vanilla, then stir in flour mixture, a little at a time with the banana& milk.
- Add 2/3 cup nuts, and pour batter into pan.
- Sprinkle remaining nuts on top.
- Bake for 1 hour& 20 minutes or until done (when a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean).
- Cool bread in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Loosen around the edges and cool completely on rack.
- Wrap tightly& store at room temperature.
- TIP: Make sure the bananas are ripe, or the bread will be dry& crumbly.
- The riper the bananas, the moister the bread.
- Bread is better the next day.
- Freezes well- up to 6 months.