Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is from the 1973 Pillsbury Bake-off contest and is my favorite version of banana bread. I usually make a powdered sugar glaze for the top, which makes it extra special.
- Heat oven to 350.
- Grease and flour bottom only of 9X5 or 8X4 inch loaf pan.
- In large bowl, combine all ingredients except raisins; beat 3 minutes at medium speed.
- Fold in raisins.
- Pour batter into greased and floured pan.
- Bake at 350 for 55 to 65 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Wrap tightly and store in refrigerator.
Really delicious, not overly sweet, and no one would guess that it's pretty low-fat/healthy to boot! I doubled the recipe but instead of adding 3 total cups of bananas, I did 2 1/2c bananas + 1/2c mango (and thus omitted the OJ & lemon juice). Also added about 1/2t cinnamon & 1/8t ginger. After mixing, the batter seemed a bit moist to me so I added about 1/3c quick oats in addition to the 2 types of flour. My husband raved about these, especially the yummy raisins, and begged me not to give any away!