Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a healthy family favorite. Fresh chicken is best, but in a pinch you can used frozen breast tenderloins. I use saffron rice from the health food store in place of white or brown rice. More flavor!
- Simmer chicken, garlic, and salt in water 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken, reserving 2 cups of the cooking liquid. De-bone and dice chicken. (chicken can be cooked and de-boned the night before.).
- Saute rice in oil in skillet until golden. Stir in reserved cooking liquid, chicken, salsa, cumin, pepper, and an additional teaspoon of salt.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Layer top of skillet mixture with tomatoes, black olives, and green onions. Cover and continue cooking about 5 minutes, or until heated through.