Recipe by Aunt Brenda
This is a healthy family favorite. Fresh chicken is best, but in a pinch you can used frozen breast tenderloins. I use saffron rice from the health food store in place of white or brown rice. More flavor!
- 1 chicken (2 1/2 to 3 lbs, cut into pieces)
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup salsa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup black olives, sliced
- 3 green onions, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Simmer chicken, garlic, and salt in water 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken, reserving 2 cups of the cooking liquid. De-bone and dice chicken. (chicken can be cooked and de-boned the night before.).
- Saute rice in oil in skillet until golden. Stir in reserved cooking liquid, chicken, salsa, cumin, pepper, and an additional teaspoon of salt.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Layer top of skillet mixture with tomatoes, black olives, and green onions. Cover and continue cooking about 5 minutes, or until heated through.