I got this from my mom and as it was passed from person to person, I don't know where it originated. This is a "sourdough" recipe. It takes 10 days sitting out on the counter, but is absolutely wonderful. My family eats this bread for snacks, breakfast, gives as gifts, a must have for holidays.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
On Day 6 add
On Day 10 add
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 (6 ounce) box vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 cup nuts (optional)
- 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
- 1On day 1: combine 1 cup milk, 1 cup sugar, and 1 cup flour in a large ziplock bag and mush to mix ingredients.
- 2On days 2-5: mush the bag twice daily (remove air first).
- 3On day 6: add 1 cup milk, 1 cup sugar, and 1 cup flour to the bag and mush to mix.
- 4On days 7-9: mush the bag twice daily (remove air first).
- 5On day 10: squeeze contents of bag into large mixing bowl.
- 6Add 1 cup milk, 1 cup sugar, and 1 cup flour and mix well.
- 7Measure out 4 (1 cup each) "starters" (these will be used for other batches rather than starting with fresh milk, flour, and sugar on day 1; or you may give them to a friend with a copy of the recipe, but note this takes the place of the day 1 ingredients.) You may freeze the starters for future use if desired (the second day out of the freezer is day 1).
- 8To the small amount in the bowl add oil, milk, eggs, vanilla; mix well.
- 9Next add remaining ingredients (except nuts and raisins); mix well.
- 10Then (if using) fold in nuts and raisins.
- 11Spray 2 loaf pans with cooking spray.
- 12Sprinkle generously with cinnamon and sugar.
- 13Pour batter into pans and sprinkle tops with cinnamon and sugar.
- 14Bake at 325 for 1 hour or until done. (25 minutes for muffins).
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Favorite Amish Cinnamon Bread
Serving Size: 1 (3044 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 4361.2
- Calories from Fat 1221
- Total Fat 135.7 g
- Saturated Fat 27.0 g
- Cholesterol 377.0 mg
- Sodium 2693.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 739.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.6 g
- Sugars 478.9 g
- Protein 55.8 g