Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Popular dish fron portugal, where broad beans are very popular. Anyone with a garden space grows them and they are ready for picking now. We are having these tonight with chicken and potatoes. Simple to prepare and cook.
- 4 ounces steaky bacon, cut into strips
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 lb fava beans, shelled
- 1 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large sprigs mint
- 1 large sprigs parsley, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- In a heavy based pot fry the bacon until the fat runs.
- Add onions and garlic, cook gently till soft.
- Stir in the beans and tomato, with the herbs.
- Barely cover with water add salt and pepper to taste, and, simmer till the beans are tender.
- Strain the liquid off and remove the bay leaf and mint.
- Serve and enjoy the taste of Portugal.