Recipe by Becky in Southeastern, Mass
This is a family favorite. It has lots of flavor. It is great to serve at parties since it makes quite a large amount. We would make it at Christmas every year and at all family birthday parties.
- 5 cans fava beans
- 5 1⁄2 tablespoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 large onions, cut into chunks
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons parsley, heaping
- 1⁄4 salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Place 5 cans of Fava beans into a Dutch oven with 1 1/2 heaping tbsp.
- of crushed red pepper and 1 large clove of crushed garlic.
- Bring to a boil and let simmer.
- Stir occasionally and set aside.
- In a large frying pan, add the 5 large, cut onions, 1 cup oil, 2 cloves crushed garlic, 4 tbsp.
- crushed red pepper, 2 heaping tbsp.
- of parsley, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/8 tsp.
- Black pepper.
- Fry onions until almost tender.
- Then, add can of tomato paste and 1 1/2 tsp of white vinegar.
- Simmer for approximately 10 minutes or until onions are completely cooked.
- Add onion mixture to beans and mix well.
- Heat thoroughly.
- Note: If using dry beans, soak and then precook them until tender.