Recipe by Bergy
Fava beans are not often found on menus and in my opinion are very under rated. When cooked properly they are delicious and offer a nice change from our regular veggies. There are many ways you can enjoy them I just threw this recipe together last night and served them with new carrots, minted peas and peppered prawns. In addition try adding a chopped leek to the stir fry.
- 2 cups cooked peeled fava beans
- 1 teaspoon lite olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh tomato, chopped
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper flakes (optional) or 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, chopped (optional)
- 2 teaspoons chopped parsley (for garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Shell the fava beans and boil in lightly salted water for about 6 minutes.
- Cool the beans in cold water and remove outer skin on each bean (If you are using canned beans omit these first steps and go right to the next one).
- Place fava beans in a well buttered heatproof dish (for vegan use a veggie oil spray to coat the dish).
- Saute onion, garlic & tomato in the oil (add hot peppers if using) until just soft.
- Pour over the beans & cover with foil.
- Bake in 350F degrees oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove foil, sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Bake under broiler for a few min until cheese is golden.
- You may wish to mix some bread crumbs with the parmesan or use buttered crumbs as a topping.
- Do whatever appeals to your taste buds!