Recipe by Debbwl
This is technically this is a side dish, but DH likes it so well that sometimes he will eat nothing but these beans. Most the time I make this a day ahead and just popped in the oven the next day.
Top Review by Wish I Could Cook
Grandma got it right! These beans are great. I didn't have fava beans so I used canned cannelli beans (white kidney beans). I thought two cans would be the right amount, but in hindsight, one can would be better otherwise the beans are a bit dry. But flavor-wise, delish!
- 2 lbs fava beans, fresh, will yield about 1 pound shelled beans
- 1 large onion, cleaned and chopped
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 ounce parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Shell the beans, add to boiling water, cook for apprx 10 minutes, dash into cold water drain.
- Heat the oil and butter in a skillet. Add onion and garlic and saute over medium heat until the onions are golden brown apprx 20 minutes.
- Add Fava beans, tomato sauce, and pepper to the onions.
- Place beans and onions in an oven proof dish and sprinkle with cheese.
- To make this dish ahead stop here and refrigerate.
- Bake in 350 F oven for 20 minutes if beans are hot off the stove and 30 minutes if they have been in the frig.
- Cheese will be melted, if you would like it browned will need to place under the broiled for a minute or two.