Recipe by M&Mers
I've also made this stew with lima beans and it was just as delicious! I challenge you meat-and-potatoes people to try this different stew...I guarantee you'll become legume-lovers!
Top Review by Aaron S
I improvised something similar to this when I had canned fava beans and portuguese sausage (that's what the local chain grocery called it) to use up. This looks quite a bit better.
- 4 lbs fava bean pods
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups tomatoes, skinned and chopped (or canned tomatoes)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled feta cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove beans from pods to make 4 cups.
- Place beans in a large saucepan and cover with water (1 inch above level of beans).
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 40-50 minutes or until tender.
- Drain and set aside.
- Remove casing from sausage.
- In large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Cook sausage, breaking up with a spoon, until no longer pink.
- Drain off fat.
- Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring often, for about 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add fava beans, tomatoes, pepper and half each of the basil and oregano.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, for about 15 minutes or until stew has thickened and beans are tender.
- Stir in remaining basil and oregano.
- Serve sprinkled with Feta cheese.