Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
A hearty, healthy soup.
Make and share this Fava Bean Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb dried fava beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- lemon, juice of
- Soak beans in water for 2 days in refrigerator.
- Drain, and put in a large saucepan with 8-10 cups water.
- Bring to a boil, and boil for 10 minutes.
- Add onion, garlic, carrot and celery, and bring to boil again.
- Turn heat to simmer.
- Cover, and simmer for 1 hour, or until beans are very soft.
- Puree soup in blender (do this in batches).
- Return soup to saucepan.
- Add oil, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for a few minutes, adding a little water if too thick.
- Serve garnished with chopped parsley, and a sprinkling of lemon juice.
- Excellent with warm pita bread.