A fresh spring-time salad with pronounced Mediterranean flavours.
Make and share this Fava Bean Salad recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (19 ounce) can fava beans or 2 cups young fresh fava beans, out-of-the pod and steamed
- 1 medium English cucumber, coarsely chopped
- 1 large roma tomato, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup pitted kalamata olive, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 head romaine lettuce, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dried sweet basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 cup flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- coarse-ground black pepper
- sea salt
- Combine fava beans, chopped cucumber, tomato, olives, red onion, romaine, and parsley in a bowl.
- For the dressing, combine olive oil, red wine vinegar, water, and the remainder of the spices in a lidded jar.
- Shake jar until dressing ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
- Pour dressing over salad and mix ingredients until well coated.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
- Serve salad on top of extra romaine or butter lettuce leaves for an attractive presentation.
- Makes 4 main dish or 6 side-dish servings.
- Variations on a Theme: If fava beans are not available or not in season, substitute 2 cups cooked cannellini (white kidney) or Great Northern white beans in the recipe.
I will definitely make this again - it was the first time had tasted or cooked with fava beans. Yum! I used fresh ones from the farmer's market - I also used fresh tomatoes, parsley, thyme & oregano from my own garden. I only chilled it for 10 minutes - I think an hour would make the romaine quite soggy - it tasted great as is. Maybe I'll add some feta cheese next time!
This was refreshing! Perfect for summer picnic or back yard dinner. I used fresh basil, oregano, thyme.
This was delicious!! I made it with items from my CSA box. I had to use black olives since I was out of Kalamata, but it was still good!! Next time I think I will mix up everything except the lettuce so that I can make leftovers easier. The lettuce was soggy and wilty when leftover.... but still good!! I did top mine with pink shrimp mean and feta for dinner and just ate it plain for lunch the next day! Will be making again soon!! Always looking for new ways to use those Fava beans!! :-)