A fresh spring-time salad with pronounced Mediterranean flavours.
Make and share this Fava Bean Salad recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (19 ounce) can fava beans or 2 cups young fresh fava beans, out-of-the pod and steamed
- 1 medium English cucumber, coarsely chopped
- 1 large roma tomato, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup pitted kalamata olive, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 head romaine lettuce, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dried sweet basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 cup flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- coarse-ground black pepper
- sea salt
- Combine fava beans, chopped cucumber, tomato, olives, red onion, romaine, and parsley in a bowl.
- For the dressing, combine olive oil, red wine vinegar, water, and the remainder of the spices in a lidded jar.
- Shake jar until dressing ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
- Pour dressing over salad and mix ingredients until well coated.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
- Serve salad on top of extra romaine or butter lettuce leaves for an attractive presentation.
- Makes 4 main dish or 6 side-dish servings.
- Variations on a Theme: If fava beans are not available or not in season, substitute 2 cups cooked cannellini (white kidney) or Great Northern white beans in the recipe.