Recipe by strangelittlebeast
Originally from Steven Raichlen's Healthy Latin Cooking.He says it is sold in the market in Coyocan ,Mexico City.This would be really good with fresh Lima Beans too.You should have 2 cups of beans after you shell them,not before.
- 2 cups fresh fava beans, shelled
- 4 carrots, sliced 1/4 '' thick
- 2 sprigs fresh epazote
- 1 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 jalapenos, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced finely
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Shell the fava beans and measure out 2 cups.Wash ,peel and slice carrots.
- Bring a medium sized pot of water to boil along with the epazote.When boiling add fava beans,cook 6 minutes.Ass the carrots(do not remove favas) and continue boiling 2 more minute.Drain and discard epazote.
- Chill the fava beans in the refrigerator for one hour(this is to firm the fava beans so as to facilitate peeling).
- Meanwhile wash, and dice remaining ingredients.Mix in a meedium sized bowl.Set aside.
- After an hour has passed,take out the beans and peel off the skins very carefully so as to not break the beans too much.Add beans and carrots to remaining ingredients.Serve.