A tasty vegetarian entree using flavours from the Mediterranean. This recipe comes from the Vegetarian Times.
- 2 cups canned fava beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large egg
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus extra oil for frying
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 red pepper, seeded and diced
- Combine fava beans, egg, onion, garlic, 1 Tbs. olive oil, lemon juice, flour, and 1 Tbs. parsley in food processor. Process until coarsely chopped and well combined.
- Heat 2 to 3 Tbs. oil in large skillet over medium heat. When hot, scoop 1/4 cup bean mixture into oil and repeat until skillet is full. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes on one side, and when firm and slightly brown, turn over to cook other side. Carefully remove from skillet and place on plates. Repeat with remaining bean mixture until mixture is used up.
- To serve, spoon generous scoops yogurt over each serving and sprinkle with parsley and diced red pepper. Serve immediately.