Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
My DH always asks for this soup once the cooler weather comes around. We love it!! It’s also a good soup to entertain with because it is filling. The mint is optional but we think it adds an extra kick to the soup. If you prefer to go without the mint add fresh cilantro and ground cumin instead. Garnish with mint springs and unsweetened yogurt.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 potatoes, diced
- 3 cups fava beans (thaw if frozen)
- 3 3⁄4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped mint leaves
- Heat olive oil in a large sauce pan.
- Add onion and garlic, saute 2-3 minutes, until soft.
- Add potatoes, cook, and stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in beans and stock. Cover & simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove a few veggies from the pot (about ¾ of a cup…or more if you prefer to have a chunkier soup), set aside.
- Place the remainder soup in a food processor / blender. Process until soup is smooth.
- Return soup to saucepan; add the reserved vegetables and mint.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Garnish with mint springs & unsweetened yogurt.