1/3 Photos of Fauxtess Cupcakes
1 hr 20 mins
Megan Yonak's Note:
OK girls and boys- here is my new favorite. I actually came up with this one originally using a brownie- while nummy- it wasn't the fluff that I was going for. I am making these for a friend’s wedding as her wedding cake- They turned out so cute (I made mini ones) that I thought I would share....
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For The Cupcakes
- 3/4 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
For Marshmallow Cream Filling
- 3 egg whites
- 2 cups light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate pieces
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
For Royal Icing
- 1Preheat oven to 350.
- 2Beat butter until softened. Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- 3Add eggs, one at a time, beating 30 seconds after each addition.
- 4Measure the flour, baking soda, salt, cocoa powder, and espresso powder into a medium sized bowl and whisk to combine.
- 5Measure the milk and vanilla into a measuring thing.
- 6Add about a third of the dry ingredients to the butter/sugar and beat to combine. Add about a half of the milk/vanilla and beat to combine. Continue adding, alternating between dry and wet and finishing with the dry.
- 7Scoop batter into mini cupcake pan lined with cups or sprayed with a nonstick butter spray. Cupcake cups should be only about 3/4 full. Bake at 350 degrees for about 15-18 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- 8Remove cupcakes and let cool on a wire rack- during this time- prepare the marshmallow cream and put into a pastry bag to pipe into the center of the cupcake (for filling).
- 9In a large mixing bowl combine egg whites, syrup and salt. Beat for 10 minutes until thick. Add confectioners' sugar at low speed. Then add vanilla extract and beat until blended.
- 10Pipe into the centers of the cupcakes (I take a chopstick and stick it in the center about halfway down and make small circles- widening as I go- about dime to nickel size- no bigger though).
- 11For the Ganache- Bring the heavy cream and butter to just boiling, immediately remove and pour over the coarsely chopped chocolate and whisk until smooth, add vanilla or liquor of choice at this time and let cool slightly- make a crumb coat on the top of the cupcake to ensure a smooth top, place in fridge for 5 min to set the coat, then dip the top of the cupcakes into the ganache- it will smooth out as it cools- flatten out any major peaks though- make it smooth with a spoon back or offset spatula. Put the cupcakes back into fridge for about 10 minutes. At this time- make the royal icing. (ps: keep ganache leftovers- place in fridge for a few hours, remove and roll into truffles- then roll in cocoa or powdered sugar -- yum).
- 12Take the powdered egg whites, powdered sugar and mix in mixer till combined. Add warm water 1 tbsp at a time till the consistency is a bit thicker than toothpaste- about 5 to 7 minutes- should NOT be at ALL runny- but use it quick- it hardens fast. Pipe the "hostess" squiggles on top and viola- Fauxtess cupcakes --.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fauxtess Cupcakes
Serving Size: 1 (145 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 468.0
- Calories from Fat 122
- Total Fat 13.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.2 g
- Cholesterol 53.6 mg
- Sodium 264.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 85.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 58.9 g
- Protein 4.7 g