Prep 0 mins
Cook 5 mins
There's a couple recipes for tofu sour cream here on 'Zaar, but none quite like this one, so I figured I would post it. This is from the book, "How It All Vegan." It tastes surprisingly like sour cream... I mean, considering its tofu. I used basil vinegar and I think any flavored vinegar would probably be nice.
- 2 cups tofu (soft or medium, preferably, about 1lb)
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice or 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon artificial sweetener (sugar, honey, whatever floats your boat)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (or Braggs Liquid Aminos if you're into that sort of thing)
- Get out your blender or food processor.
- Throw all the ingredients in and blend, blend, blend until it is creamy.
- This may take a while, but it will happen.
- Taste and adjust seasonings accordingly (I added a bit more soy sauce and vinegar to mine).
- Store in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator.
- This should keep for about 5 days.
- It may seperate upon refrigeration, so in this even, just mix it back together with a fork before serving.
- Mine has sort of a brownish-tint (perhaps from the soy sauce), and I wouldn't necessarily try and pass this off as real sour cream on your hubby's baked potato, but if you want it for a recipe (not sure about baked goods) this should be okay.
- If using for Vegetarian or Vegan and you wish to use honey please check to make sure they consume honey. Many do not.
I needed this for my sister's son who is allergic to dairy. I used plain creamy tofu, very easy to put together. The tofu is very hard to mix and found I needed to use a blender instead of hand mixer. Suprisingly looks and has the same texture as sour cream. Needs to be made several hours before required so ingredients can marry.
my vegan sister was coming so i had to make this for her....it was a hit. she is ultra picky. i personally didnt taste it but she took what was left home. thanks for sharing!
This is absolutely awful! I hate doing negative reviews but I can't let someone else waste their time and money. Even the store bought sour cream substitute is better. This recipe reminds me of how much I miss real sour cream and what a sacrifice being non-dairy really is.